A Trusted Retina Specialist in Laguna Hills, CA For Your Macular Degeneratio
Retinal specialists are medical doctors that specialize in the diagnosis, medical treatment, and surgical treatment of retina disorders. Most ophthalmologists and optometrists are unable to treat serious retinal conditions, so they will refer their patient to a retinal specialist. Your eyes are extremely important and also very delicate so it matters who is performing medical treatments, and even surgery, on your eyes. The doctors at Retina Associates of Orange County are skilled professionals who are committed to meeting each of their patients’ needs. Retina Associates of Orange County is proud to have numerous accomplished retina specialists in Laguna Hills, CA as well as a highly-trained and caring staff to take care of each individual patient.
Table Of Contents:
Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of vision loss and complete blindness in older people. This is caused when the center part of the retina, the macula, deteriorates. Typically, AMD causes the patient to lose their vision slowly and painlessly.
Risk Factors of AMD
- High blood pressure
- Nutritional deficiencies of vitamins A, C, E, and zinc
Forms of AMD
There are two diagnosed forms of macular degeneration: dry and wet. Dry AMD is more common form and Wet AMD is a more serious and damaging form.
Dry AMD is considered the early stage of the disease. Between 85 to 90 percent of those diagnosed with AMD are diagnosed with Dry AMD. Dry AMD is caused by yellow spots that are accumulated from the debris of tissue around the macula; this then leads to the patient seeing a dark spot in the center of the image their eyes see.
Wet AMD is a more advanced and harmful form of the disease. With Wet AMD, abnormal blood vessels grow and cause scarring around the macula. This form typically causes severe vision loss.
Treatment of AMD
There is currently no cure for macular degeneration, however, an accomplished Laguna Hills, CA retina specialist has learned different strategies to slow AMD’s progress and can sometimes improve vision. There have been studies that found that increased amounts of vitamins A, C, E, and zinc may slow Dry AMD’s rate of progress. Before adding any additional vitamins to your daily regimen, be sure to consult your retinal specialist. The patient can also minimize their risk factors, listed above, by having a healthy lifestyle. Vision loss caused by AMD can be permanent, however, there are special devices that can provide improvement.
Finding a retina specialist serving Laguna Hills, CA you trust is very important. It is key to be able to talk to your doctor about any concerns you have regarding your vision. Catching macular degeneration early will allow for your retinal specialist to try to find ways to slow the progress of the disease and prolong your clear vision. The potential for vision impairment or blindness is scary. The retinal specialists at Retina Associates of Orange County want to work with you and help eliminate your fears of macular degeneration. Have you experienced vision impairment and wondered, “how can I find me a retina specialist in Laguna Hills, CA?” Then contact the retinal specialists at Retina Associates of Orange County today to schedule an appointment.
Your Treatment Options for Macular Degeneration
Macular degeneration typically affects people 60 years of age and older. The condition occurs when the macula starts to break down. As this happens, an affected person will lose their central, sharp vision that allows them to see details such as reading, driving, and facial recognition. A retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County can examine your eyes to diagnose the nature of your condition. If your doctor confirms that you are suffering from macular degeneration, based on the severity of your condition you will be provided information about your treatment options.
The Variations of Macular Degeneration
- Dry is the most common form, but wet is more aggressive and can cause vision loss. If you start to notice a difference in your vision, you should see a retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County to rule out conditions such as macular degeneration.
- If you are noticing wavy or bent lines that should be straight (i.e. when you look at a telephone pole), you may have wet macular degeneration. This condition needs to be addressed as soon as possible to avoid permanent damage to the eye. Contact a retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County without delay.
Treating Dry and Wet Macular Degeneration
- Vitamin Supplements. Recent studies have shown that certain combinations of vitamins such as omega three’s can reduce macular degeneration by up to a third. There are special prescription medications available and can be further discussed by a retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County.
- Discontinuation of Smoking. People who smoke cigarettes are at higher risk for developing macular degeneration, particularly the wet form. If you have been diagnosed with macular degeneration, you may benefit from quitting smoking. Talk to your retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County to learn more.
- Dietary Changes. If you have been diagnosed with macular degeneration or are noticing subtle changes in your vision with age, it can be useful to include more nuts, fish, avocados, and healthy oils in your diet. Our retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County can provide you with more dietary tips.
Treatment for Wet Macular Degeneration
- Medications. An eye specialists may prescribe certain medications that will help to improve the vision in people who have wet macular degeneration. Other treatments might slow down, but not stop the loss of vision. Many of these medications are painlessly injected into the eye. This is usually done several times over the course of many months.
- Thermal Laser Treatment. A procedure known as photocoagulation may be used to seal off the leaking blood vessels that are characteristic of wet macular degeneration. There are potential side effects of this treatment and should be discussed with your eye specialist.
- Non-thermal Laser Treatment. Photodynamic therapy implements a special medication and non-thermal laser that selects and destroys leaking or abnormal blood vessels. The results are not always successful which could mean that you also need injections.
Retina Associates of Orange County: When You Need a Board Certified Retina Specialist in Laguna Hills
Find Me a Retina Specialist in Laguna Hills, CA
The eyes are not only the windows to the soul, they can also be a window into our health. The truth is that there are many medical conditions that can actually affect the eyes in some way. This is why it is important to be aware of any changes to your eyes or vision. The following are symptoms which can indicate that you may be suffering from a medical condition and leave a patient saying, “Find me a retina specialist in Laguna Hills, California.”
Blurred Vision: One of the most common eye issues that can mean a medical condition is when a patient suffers with blurry vision. One of the most common medical conditions is diabetes. When high sugar levels cause fluid to leak into the eye lens, it causes the lens to swell, making it difficult to focus and making the vision blurry.
Blurry vision can also indicate inflammation of the optic nerve. This nerve carries impulses from the retina to the brain, which then interprets the image. Optic nerve inflammation is one of the earliest symptoms of multiple sclerosis, as well as symptoms of herpes, Lyme disease, measles, mumps, shingles, and syphilis.
Other dangerous medical issues blurry vision can indicate include:
- Brain hemorrhage
Sudden Change in Vision: If a patient has a sudden change in their vision, they should consult with a retina specialist in Laguna Hills, CA immediately. These changes can indicate eye conditions such as age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, or a sign that the retina is detaching from the patient’s eye.
Rings: If a person who is 45 years of age or younger sees a yellow or white ring around the iris of their eye, this can be an indication they are suffering from high cholesterol or high triglycerides. Rings in the eyes are not uncommon for older people and does not necessarily mean an issue. A patient will still want to point the issue out to their doctor, however.
Night Blindness: Night blindness is defined as the difficulty to see in low light. People who suffer from night blindness often have problems with driving at night. Night blindness is often a symptom suffered by people who have cataracts, diabetes, glaucoma, retinitis pigmentosa, and other eye diseases.
Night blindness can also indicate a deficiency in Vitamin A and could mean the patient’s body is having a problem absorbing the vitamin. This can be caused by disorders with the liver or pancreas. If you are dealing with night blindness issues, contact a Laguna Hills, CA retina specialist right away.
Eyes Bulging: One of the symptoms of an overactive thyroid is when the patient’s eye bulge. This is often caused by the swelling of tissues which are located behind the eyes. This condition is called Graves disease. Other causes of bulging eyes include cancer, infections, or leukemia. Not only do bulging eyes pose a cosmetic problem for a patient, they can also cause decreased vision, double vision, eye pain, and headaches.
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms or issues, you are probably now thinking, “find me a retina specialist in Laguna Hills, CA.” We have! Contact Retina Associates of Orange County immediately.