Your Treatment Options for Macular Degeneration
Macular degeneration typically affects people 60 years of age and older. The condition occurs when the macula starts to break down. As this happens, an affected person will lose their central, sharp vision that allows them to see details such as reading, driving, and facial recognition. A retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County can examine your eyes to diagnose the nature of your condition. If your doctor confirms that you are suffering from macular degeneration, based on the severity of your condition you will be provided information about your treatment options.
- Dry is the most common form, but wet is more aggressive and can cause vision loss. If you start to notice a difference in your vision, you should see a retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County to rule out conditions such as macular degeneration.
- If you are noticing wavy or bent lines that should be straight (i.e. when you look at a telephone pole), you may have wet macular degeneration. This condition needs to be addressed as soon as possible to avoid permanent damage to the eye. Contact a retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County without delay.
- Vitamin Supplements. Recent studies have shown that certain combinations of vitamins such as omega three’s can reduce macular degeneration by up to a third. There are special prescription medications available and can be further discussed by a retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County.
- Discontinuation of Smoking. People who smoke cigarettes are at higher risk for developing macular degeneration, particularly the wet form. If you have been diagnosed with macular degeneration, you may benefit from quitting smoking. Talk to your retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County to learn more.
- Dietary Changes. If you have been diagnosed with macular degeneration or are noticing subtle changes in your vision with age, it can be useful to include more nuts, fish, avocados, and healthy oils in your diet. Our retina specialist in Laguna Hills from Retina Associates of Orange County can provide you with more dietary tips.
- Medications. An eye specialists may prescribe certain medications that will help to improve the vision in people who have wet macular degeneration. Other treatments might slow down, but not stop the loss of vision. Many of these medications are painlessly injected into the eye. This is usually done several times over the course of many months.
- Thermal Laser Treatment. A procedure known as photocoagulation may be used to seal off the leaking blood vessels that are characteristic of wet macular degeneration. There are potential side effects of this treatment and should be discussed with your eye specialist.
- Non-thermal Laser Treatment. Photodynamic therapy implements a special medication and non-thermal laser that selects and destroys leaking or abnormal blood vessels. The results are not always successful which could mean that you also need injections.